Thursday 21 May 2015

Working with the L'Arche Community

Sister Helina started to serve with the L'Arche Community in August 2014.  On one day per week, she assisted with Community activities at the office in Canterbury.  


"The sharing of human vulnerabilities is always  a new invitation to let Jesus be the centre of everything.  I did my apostolic work at L'Arche Community.  There, I was involved in the card making group.  I worked with people with learning difficulties in the morning and some came in the afternoon for social activities.  It is a profound challenge to be in the presence of those whom I can hardly understand.  I learned to use sign language in talking to them.  I also learned to talk in a gentle voice so that they would understand me.  I learned to care for and love them in whatever situation I found them." 

Sister Helina will make her first profession of vows as a Franciscan Sister in the FMSL Congregation in August this year.  She will then be based in our Littlehampton convent, where she will continue her religious formation and studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment